Tuesday, June 1, 2010

sorry


...and so the bottom line is that we're not faced with is a complete line of oil coming at us. It's more like guerrilla insurgency, if I can use military jargon..."

“You certainly may, Mr Hayward, somebody most assuredly has to.”

“Uh, what? Somebody has to do what?”

“Use military jargon, Mr Hayward. You give them hell.”

“Give who hell?”

“The guerrilla insurgency, Mr Hayward.”

“Oh. It's not really a guerrilla insurgency. Truth be told, it's not even that much like a guerilla insurgency, other than the fact that it's totally unwanted.”

“And much like a guerilla insurgency, it's attacking our shore.”

“Good point, that. At any rate, what we need to do is have a rapid response capability to get it as we identify it, rather than have it come onto the shore or onto the marsh."

“A little late for that rapid response bit of nonsense, isn't it Mr Hayward? I mean, what's it been, six weeks already?”

“Six and a half... I'm sorry. The first thing to say is I'm sorry...”

“I would have thought the first thing to say would be 'Son of a bitch, one of our rigs has exploded'.”

“You might think that, but it's not the first thing that you want to say when you're CEO of a large multinational like BP. The first thing you want to say is that you're sorry, so that...”

“It hasn't escaped my notice that you've been saying it with great frequency.”

“Because I am really, truly very very sorry. I'm sorry for the massive disruption it's caused in people's lives. There's no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back."

“You'd like your life back?”

“Well, yes I would... I suppose that sounds a little small and self-pitying doesn't it?”

“Indeed it does.”

“I'm sorry... I've been working a lot of overtime lately and... people are talking about me like I'm some sort of criminal. It's really been quite hard on my self-esteem.”

“I'm sure it has. You look a mess.”

“Sorry.”

No comments:

Post a Comment