Wednesday, September 16, 2009

boy

Boy, it never changes, does it? You want to have a reasonable conversation about State's Rights and...

What? You want to object to my use of 'boy'? That's patently absurd... I didn't even have a subject in mind... Okay, okay, you're technically correct, I did have a subject and the subject was State's Rights. I didn't mean subject in the grammatical sense of the word - I wasn't addressing any particular individual, I was just...

What? State's Rights isn't a subject? ...Oh, okay, I got you, you are speaking in the grammatical sense. And I believe that you're technically correct. 'State's Rights' is the object to the subject 'conversation'. So there you go, I guess you've given me an object lesson. Boy, it's been a long... Excuse me, but I have a tendency to use 'boy' as an interjection, like 'wow' or 'gosh' or 'sonofabitch'. But it has been a long time since I attended grammar school and...

No, I didn't attend a school for grammar, that's just what they called grades one through five in the South back when I was a student. Grammar school. Grades one through five, okay?

No, I didn't mean student in the sense that I was a goddamn 'attentive observer', which is probably why I still get my interjections confused with my exclamations, so fucking sue me, okay? I thought it was a matter of inflection that defined the difference between an interjection and an exclamation but if you wanna tell me that inflection is not the same thing as emphasis then I... What?

Those sound like the exact same definitions to me. Boy, it's no wonder we can't have a reasonable conversation...

No comments:

Post a Comment