Saturday, September 26, 2009

GOP impatient with Obama's Afghanistan strategy

Congressional Republicans are growing increasingly impatient with the President's reluctance to give a rapid knee-jerk response to General Stanley McChrystal's strategy assessment for Afghanistan, claiming that his short period of reflection is making it nearly impossible for them to make knee-jerk responses of their own.

"It's the height of irresponsibility for the White House to know things that we don't know," said House Minority Leader John Boehner. "Just imagine the outcry in the media if that sort of thing had happened during the Bush administration."

Boehner is issuing a demand for McChrystal to appear before Congress post-haste. "Tomorrow would be fine. No, wait. Tomorrow's a Sunday, and I've got to appear on FOX News Sunday. To talk about Afghanistan, for God's sake, and what am I supposed to say? What if I said something definitive and it ends up aligning with the President's position? I mean, sure, I could say that Obama was co-opting me, but I think I've made it pretty clear that he doesn't listen to Congressional Republicans. You can see my dilemma."

McChrystal, for his part, has made it clear that he won't testify until after Obama finishes his strategy review.

"Well isn't that just dandy," Senator John McCain sarcastically asked. "The president has had McChrystal's report for at least a week already. How difficult is it to reach a conclusion? It's not like trying to read a piece of health care legislation. All he needs to do is say 'Yes, General, anything you want'."

"With all due respect to Senator McCain, the matter is not as simple as that," replied Boehner. "What if Obama were to say 'Yes, General, anything you want'? What then? McCain would be standing there alone, blindly supporting the president, totally oblivious to the larger war being waged within the Republican Party. That's some fancy thinking you've got going through your noggin, Senator Maverick."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for clearing that up, Mark.

    I feel like I'm watching the D.C. Follies whenever I accidentally go past the mainstream media channels in search of a good movie from time to time.

    Nope. My TV is trained to skip right over that quick, mendacious FOX.


    "Tomorrow would be fine. No, wait. Tomorrow's a Sunday, and I've got to appear on FOX News Sunday. To talk about Afghanistan, for God's sake, and what am I supposed to say?

    ReplyDelete