Wednesday, September 30, 2009

...Gibbs daily press briefing already in progress...


Gibbs: ...so quite frankly, it boggles the mind that anyone, particularly the GOP Chair, would object to an American president who is personally willing to lobby for having the Olympics - which is not only the most prestigious but also the most lucrative of all sporting events - right here in the United States of America...

Todd [mumbles]: Mitt Romney acts as though it's some kind of credential...

Gibbs: That wasn't phrased in the form of a question, Chuck, but it's a good point nonetheless. I guess a lot of our colleagues in the GOP can only see an American Olympics as a good thing when there is a potential Republican presidential candidate in the mix. I guess that's why they want our Olympic bid to fail, so that they can run Romney in 2012 as the candidate who got the Olympics, where as Barack Obama failed. But while it's true that Romney supervised certain aspects of the 2002 Olympics, the games had already been 'got' long before his involvement. And may I remind you, they were hosted in Utah. Tony?

Fratto: I was just going to say Salt Lake City sucks. Really. And I also wanted to challenge your basic premise that Mitt Romney could ever get the Republican nomination.

Gibbs: You're probably right, Tony, I'm sure he's seen as way too mainstream, and then there's that little matter of health care in Massachusetts. But as to your statement that Salt Lake City sucks, I'd remind you that it's all relative. How about Tehran? Maybe Michael Steele would like to see the games go to Iran. Or maybe he sees himself jetting off to Pyongyang on a junket...

Stevens: Why does Michael Steele hate America?

Gibbs: I think it's because he has a deep-seated distrust...

Stevens: I was just saying that as a joke, Robert. Well, not a joke exactly, more like an ironic rejoinder.

Gibbs: Well, I guess that you've just wasted your question for the day. Helen?

Helen: Yes, Bob... I wanted to get the White House's reaction to remarks by Congressman Frank Trent from Arizona calling President Obama an "enemy to humanity ... who has no place in any station of government", and also that due to his perverse nature, "we shouldn't be shocked that he does all these other insane things." That was quite harsh.

Gibbs: I've heard harsher. And Helen, the guy's name is Trent Franks. I don't blame you for getting that mixed up, since it's probably the first and last time we'll ever see his name in print. But I do want to give you an update on that. Mr. Franks has since apologized and clarified his remarks by saying that what he meant was that the President is a threat to unborn humanity. Quite a big difference, meaning all of you are safe. Major?

Garrett: I would postulate that the President is also a threat to elderly humanity. Isn't that fair?

Gibbs: There you go again, Garrett, and then you guys wonder why we won't do the FOX Sunday shows. I think that everybody knows that death panels are no more a reality in the Obama health care plan than they are in the typical commercial insurance plan. Maybe even less so. Which is to say...

No comments:

Post a Comment